After-school program introducing kids to cross-country skiing, physical activity, and the joys of a healthy lifestyle. Thanks to volunteer instructors and donations, we are able to keep this program fun, safe, and affordable.
2023-24 Program Details
- Start date: January 8th, 2024
- End date: February 26th, 2024
- Program length: 6 weeks, with 2 make-up sessions possible (last possible class is Monday, March 11).
We follow TTUSD snow days and holidays (Jan 15, Feb 19-23). Each class meets 1 day/week. Please register for only one class per week. Participants may not make up classes on other days.
- Meeting time: 3:30-4:45pm at Tahoe XC
- Cost: $150 per participant (includes ski lessons & seasonal equipment rental)
- Gear Pick Up (for those enrolled): Friday, November 17th (2:30p-5:00p) and Saturday, November 18th (10:00a-12:00p)
- Registration: 8:00am–Saturday, October 28th, 2023: Register Here. If your desired class is full, please add your child’s name to the waitlist. Spots may open up.
Schedule & Group Placement
Classes spend all their time on the trails learning technique while exploring the beautiful trail network at Tahoe XC. Please see class descriptions below. Skiers may be moved to different classes as necessary depending on ability. The season will end with a fun ski race for all participants to show off their skills! Participants are issued equipment for the season and are encouraged to hit the trails outside of class.
- Orange/1st Year XC (Monday, Tuesday or Friday): This class is designed for 1st/2nd Graders who are in their first year of Cross-Country Skiing. Coaches will be introducing Classic Cross-Country Skiing and preparing kids in the Orange class to continue with our 1st Year Skate Skiing class next season.
- Green/1st Year Skate (Monday, Tuesday, or Friday): This class is designed for 2nd/3rd Graders who have completed a season of Classic Cross-Country Skiing. Participants in the Green class will be introduced to Skate Skiing.
- Blue/2nd Year Skate (Monday, Tuesday, or Friday): This class is designed for 3rd/4th Graders who have completed at least one season of Skate Skiing.
- Violet/3rd Year Skate (Monday, Tuesday, or Friday): This class is designed for 4th/5th Graders who have completed at least two seasons of Skate Skiing.
- Red/4th Year Skate (Tuesday): This is our most rigorous class designed primarily for 5th Graders who have completed at least three seasons of Skate Skiing and are interested in skiing at the next level. Participants in the Red class will prepare for the next level of Skate Skiing with Tahoe XC’s Development team and/or their Middle School teams.
- Laser Biathlon (Friday): This class is limited to 4th and 5th graders who are also registered for either a Violet or Red class this season. The goal of the program is to introduce participants to biathlon fundamentals in a safe environment. Participants will have the opportunity to learn shooting technique on the range with our laser biathlon rifles. We will also work on improving skating skills on the trails.
Season Equipment Rentals
Included in the program registration fee is a full season’s equipment rental, making Strider Gliders one of the most affordable programs around and the best bang for your buck. In return, we ask you to take care of our equipment properly:
–When storing cross-country skis use rubber bands (not tape) to keep sets of skis and poles together.
–Tie boot strings together in gentle knots, if at all.
–You are responsible for making sure your children do not ski over anything that is not snow.
Gear Pick Up
For those enrolled in Strider Gliders this year, you can pick up gear on the below dates and time:
- Friday, November 17th from 2:30p-5:00p
- Saturday, November 18th from 10:00a-12:00p
Laser Biathlon Program
Our Laser Biathlon Program uses safe laser rifles to introduce students to the amazing sport of biathlon. This program is available on Fridays only and is open to any athletes in Violet or Red Groups. An additional $45 is required at registration for this program. Safety is our top priority, participants are expected to take all aspects of the sport seriously.
We encourage parents to get out and experience our trails while their kids are participating in Strider Gliders. Parent tickets are available for $13 during class!
Do you have a passion for XC skiing? Would you like to share that passion with the next generation? We are always looking for enthusiastic classic or skate skiers to join our coaching team! Please contact Meghan Pry, meghanpry(@)tahoexc.org for more info.
Meghan Pry, Program Director
Meghan grew up downhill skiing at Sugarloaf in Maine but fell in love with the West Coast while attending college at Stanford. She has lived in Tahoe with her family since 2015 where she has been cultivating a love of Nordic skiing. She has a passion for introducing the sport to young skiers and became Strider Gliders Program Director in 2022.
Deedee Driller, Lead Coach
Deedee can be found outdoors just about anywhere. Her passion is working with young children and is often leading groups of kiddos all over Tahoe in some manner or another. An alpine ski racer from Vermont, Tahoe was the obvious choice after college for a life of adventure and Deedee has been here since 1984. For the past 35 years, Deedee has been managing ski teams in the Tahoe Basin and skis just about every day. She is certified as Level 100 USSA, Level 1 PSIA Alpine, Level 1 Children’s Specialist, Level 1 IFSA, and has her Wilderness First Aid.