Weekly mountain bike club providing safe and positive opportunities for kids to grow mountain bike skills with peers. Please read full page to see if your kids are a good fit.
NOTICE: Due to COVID-19 all programs are tentative and subject to change based on state and county directives. No Drop-ins are permitted at this time.
Spring 2020: June
- June 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 (5 rides) –> Start date delayed to June 8th
- $65 per participant –> SPRING IS FULL, email AndrewS@tahoexc.org to get on waiting list
Summer 2020: July-August
- July 13, 20, 27, Aug 3, 10, 17 (6 rides)
- $80 per participant
- –> SUMMER IS FULL, email AndrewS@tahoexc.org to get on waiting list
Fall 2020: September-October
- Sept 14, 21, 28, Oct 5, 12, 19 (6 rides)
- $80 per participant
- –> FALL IS FULL, email AndrewS@tahoexc.org to get on waiting list
Motivated Riders Welcome
- This program is designed for children ages 7-11 who are motivated to mountain bike ride for about 1.5 hours.
- Riders are grouped by ability and experience so that each ride is appropriately challenging and fun.
- Younger and older children may be considered if riding ability is appropriate. Contact us if you have questions about your child’s ability level.
- Registration and waiver is required for all participants.
- Weekly rides are Mondays from 4:00 to 5:45pm at Tahoe XC
- Rides average 1.5 hours, ranging from 4-9 miles
- Some exceptions include weather, trail conditions, holidays, and coach availability
- Email notifications will be sent ahead of time if there is a change to any particular Monday ride
- Rides are on cross-country style dirt fire roads and single track trails within the Tahoe XC ski area
- Participants should be able to ride on dirt trails for an hour and a half (4-9 miles)
No Drop-ins Due to COVID-19
Due to COVID-19, we are NOT permitting drop-ins at this time to ensure that all participants are aware of the current safety protocols.
Our typical (non-pandemic) drop in policy is as follows:
- Drop-in cost is $20 per ride
- No refunds given for cancelled rides due to weather, trail conditions or elements outside of our control
- Registration and waiver is required
- Participants must provide their own mountain bike (with gears) and safety helmet. Both are necessary for participation.
- All riders are required to carry water and a trail snack, as none are provided.
- Required gear (per kid):
- Geared mountain bike (recently tuned)
- Eye protection
- Water (in bottle cage or backpack)
- Snack (in pocket or backpack)
- Inner tube spare (under seat or in backpack)
- Closed-toed shoes
- Layered clothing appropriate for varying weather conditions
- Smile and a positive attitude
Andrew Springsteel - Since helping to get Junior Mountain Riders started in 2014, Andrew has been coaching and coordinating Tahoe XC’s grom rider crew Spring, Summer and Fall. Andrew’s two boys were among the first class of Jr. Riders, and are now members of the North Tahoe Middle School and High School mountain biking teams. On two wheels, since way back when banana seats were cool (and they still are btw!), Andrew’s love of riding in the mountains started when he was invited to ride Tahoe’s trails at night (with lights of course).
Elko James - Fearless father of two Tahoe girls, Elko’s bike history is deep. Elko has been riding and tuning bikes since V-brakes were ‘amazing’, and he has coached and carreened downs trails with the Junior Mountain Riders since 2016. Elko runs one of North Shore’s top bike shops, where his commitment to riding, and our community has found him leading the efforts to establish North Tahoe’s first bike park in Incline Village. If you can’t find Elko at Tahoe XC, the bike park, or in the shop, he’s out riding with his three favorite ladies: his two daughters and his wife.
Andrew Orrestreicher - The “other Andrew,” as he’s known in Jr Mtn Rider parlance, is deeply involved at Tahoe XC all year. In winter he is found chasing Strider Glider kids around on skinny skis, and in the dirt seasons he coaches Junior Mountain Riders to new heights. An engineer by training, the “other Andrew” scales his bike passion to Jr Riders skill levels and plans great and challenging rides for the kids. When he’s not riding or drawing up plans, he’s growing goodies his backyard greenhouse.