The Devo Team is a TCCSEA program for athletes (age 11-14) interested in improving their cross-country ski technique and committed to becoming competition-ready. The Devo Team is the next step in our youth development pipeline and is ideal for those who have graduated from Strider Gliders, or similar program, and are dedicated to cross-country skiing. At every practice, Devo coaches strive to help athletes meet their personal, physical, and mental goals in a small team setting. If your athlete(s) is not committed to the physical training and the Devo Team atmosphere, please consider other TCCSEA programs or other after-school activities.
- Summer: June 1-August 31 (3 months)
- Fall: September 1-November 31 (3 months)
- Winter: January-March 31 (3 months)
- Spring: break (April-May)
NOTICE: Due to COVID-19, all details are tentative and subject to change based on state and county directives.
3 Weekly Workouts for 3 Months
Athletes and coaches meet 3 times per week, typically at Tahoe XC
- Times and locations vary based on activity and coaching schedule
- Practices range from 1-3 hours
- Exceptions may include weather, trail conditions, holidays, coach availability, and “field trip” workouts
- Email notifications will be sent ahead of time with details about each workout, time, and meeting place
The goal of each workout is to
- develop and build upon cross-country ski skills and techniques
- promote general fitness
- get outside with friends
- foster love for a healthy lifestyle
This early stage of development is a critical time to start ski-specific training to
- instill good habits
- prevent injury
- increase efficiency
- establish a solid foundation for young, developing athletes
- Expect practices to be
- challenging and fun
- a great workout
- team-building with individual attention
On-Snow and Dry-Land Training
In summer, fall, and winter, Devo Team focusing on developing cross-country ski skills, strength, and technique. Workouts are designed to encourage kids to try a broad range of activities, including but not limited to
- skate and classic roller skiing
- trail running
- mountain biking
- ski walking
- hill bounding
- team games
- Winter Training:
- skate and classic skiing
- weight lifting
- team games
- Athletes should be between ages 11-14
- Motivated athletes are welcome (younger and older kids may be considered on a case by case basis)
- Kids should be excited about developing their cross-country skiing techniques
- Grouping is by ability and experience so that each workout is appropriately challenging and fun
Cost & Registration
- Program cost is $500 per participant per session (summer, fall, winter)
- No refunds are given for cancelled workouts due to weather, trail conditions, or elements outside of our control
- Registration and waiver is required
- SPECIAL NOTE: Due to COVID-19, we will consider partial to full refunds on a case-by-case basis.
No Drop-ins at this time
Due to COVID-19, we currently cannot allow drop-ins until further notice. See below for normal, non-COVID times drop-in details.
- Drop-in cost is $20 per participant per workout.
- Registration and waiver is required and must be presented to coach upon attendance.
- Devo Team is designed as a progressive training program and full session sign-up is recommended. To this extent, the coach will not be able to cater workouts to fit drop-in needs, if it’s to the detriment of the scheduled workout and the full-session participants.
- Before dropping in, please contact the Devo Coach to learn what gear and workout is required for that session.
- Participants must provide their own gear, which varies based on the workout assigned by the coach, with the exception of roller ski, pole, and boot rentals, which are included in the program cost.
- If an athlete does not have the requested gear, the coach will discuss options and find a suitable solution.
- All kids are required to provide their own water and snacks, as none are provided.
- Required gear for a successful summer includes the following:
- Trail running shoes
- Elbow and knee pads
- Eye protection
- Layered clothing appropriate for varying weather conditions
- Smile and a positive attitude
NOTE: Please do not let gear be an obstacle for your child. If you do not have access to gear on the above list, contact us and we can try to help solve gear issues. We do not want equipment challenges to prevent any child from participating in this program.
- Athletes meet at Tahoe XC and workout either at Tahoe XC or are transported to workouts in the team van.
- On some occasions, parent volunteers may be required to help transport athletes on training days.
- Locations range from Tahoe City to West Shore to Truckee area.
2021 Devo Coach: Casey Jowers
Casey Jowers is an emergency room physician at Tahoe Forest Hospital who, in a time when his job has never been more demanding, offered to take on the role of Junior Developement (Devo) Team coach.
To get an insight of someone who can only regarded as a community hero, Tahoe XC Board Member Renee Koijane recently interviewed Casey Jowers in the Sierra Sun:
2021 Devo Coach: JC Schoonmaker
JC Schoonmaker grew up in Tahoe City, was a Strider Glider, and skied for both Tahoe XC and Auburn Ski Club as a junior. He now attends the University of Anchorage Alaska and ski races collegiately. JC has competed on the national and international stage and is excited to spend his summers in Tahoe, passing on what he’s learned to the younger generation of Tahoe skiers.
2021 Devo Coach: Quinn Lehmkuhl
Quinn Lehmkuhl is a recent graduate from the University of Colorado Boulder where she spent four years racing on the D1 ski team. Prior to her college career she was in Strider Gliders at Tahoe XC and then went on to race for the Tahoe XC Devo team, Auburn Ski Club comp team and North Tahoe High School. She deeply enjoys skiing and believes it can teach athletes great life-long skills while also being fun.
2021 Devo Coach: Julien Bordes
Julien Bordes is a professional cross-country skier. Both French and American born, Julien was raised in Tahoe and participated in Tahoe XC Strider Gliders, Devo, and raced for the North Tahoe Middle/High School teams. As a junior, he was nationally ranked with multiple top 10s at Junior Nationals. He spent a year training and racing in the French alps for La Clusaz with a 2nd place at a French National Championship, and raced for Northern Michigan University NCAA D1 Team. He currently skis for APU Elite Team (Alaska Pacific University), racing on the Super Tour (National Tour) to qualify for World Cup races.
Previous Devo Coaches
At Tahoe XC, we strive to hire relatable, aspiring athletes to coach our youth programs. Over the years, we’ve had many incredible coaches, who often pursue their own form of higher athletics. Many past Devo Team Coaches were once Strider Gliders as well.
- JC Schoonmaker (2020, former Strider Glider)
- Nate Cutler (2020, former Strider Glider)
- Brandon Herhusky (2019, former Stridger Glider)
- n/a (2018)
- Peter Holmes (2017, former Strider Glider)
- Aliska Albrigtsen (2016)
- Wilson Dippo (2015)