Early development program focusing on cross-country ski athletes ages 11-14. The next step in Tahoe XC’s youth development pipeline, Devo Team is perfect for graduates of Strider Gliders and similar programs.
UPDATE: As of June 15, 2020, Tahoe XC Devo Team is full. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the waiting list.
NOTICE: Due to COVID-19, all programs and dates are tentative and subject to change based on state and county directives.
Summer 2020: June 8th - August 30th
- Practices are 3 times per week: Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday mornings
- Start time is typically 9:00am, but can vary as determined by the coach
- Practices range from 1-3 hours
Motivated Athletes Welcome
- Program is designed for athletes ages 11-14 who are specifically excited about developing their cross-country skiing techniques.
- Kids are grouped by ability and experience so that each workout is appropriately challenging and fun.
- Younger and older children may be considered on a case by case basis. Contact us if you have questions about your child’s ability level.
- Registration and waiver is required for all participants.
No Drop-ins at this time
Due to COVID-19, we currently cannot allow drop-ins until further notice. See below for normal, non-COVID times drop-in details.
- Drop-in cost is $20 per participant per workout.
- Registration and waiver is required and must be presented to coach upon attendance.
- Devo Team is designed as a progressive training program and full session sign-up is recommended. To this extent, the coach will not be able to cater workouts to fit drop-in needs, if it’s to the detriment of the scheduled workout and the full-session participants.
- Before dropping in, please contact the Devo Coach to learn what gear and workout is required for that session.
3 Weekly Workouts for 3 Months
Devo Team is a 3-month dryland training program focusing on cross-country skiing during the summer months.
The goal of each workout is to
- develop and build upon cross-country ski skills and techniques
- promote general fitness
- get outside with friends
- foster love for a healthy lifestyle
This early stage of development is a critical time to start ski-specific training to
- instill good habits
- prevent injury
- increase efficiency
- establish a solid foundation for young, developing athletes
Workouts are designed to encourage kids to try a broad range of activities, including but not limited to
- skate and classic roller skiing
- trail running
- mountain biking
- ski walking
- hill bounding
- team games
Expect practices to be
- challenging and fun
- a great workout
- team-building with individual attention
- Athletes and Coach meet 3 times per week, typically at Tahoe XC
- Some exceptions may include weather, trail conditions, holidays, coach availability, and “field trip” workouts
- Email notifications will be sent ahead of time with details about each workout, time and meeting place
- Program cost is $550 per participant, which includes professional roller ski rental equipment and coaching.
- No refunds are given for cancelled workouts due to weather, trail conditions, or elements outside of our control.
- Registration and waiver is required.
SPECIAL NOTE: Due to COVID-19, we will consider partial to full refunds on a case-by-case basis.
- Participants must provide their own gear, which varies based on the workout assigned by the coach, with the exception of roller ski, pole, and boot rentals, which are included in the program cost.
- If an athlete does not have the requested gear, the coach will discuss options and find a suitable solution.
- All kids are required to provide their own water and snacks, as none are provided.
- Required gear for a successful summer includes the following:
- Trail running shoes
- Elbow and knee pads
- Eye protection
- Layered clothing appropriate for varying weather conditions
- Smile and a positive attitude
- Athletes meet at Tahoe XC and workout either at Tahoe XC or are transported to workouts in the team van.
- On some occasions, parent volunteers may be required to help transport athletes on training days.
- Locations range from Tahoe City to West Shore to Truckee area.
2020 Devo Coach
Born and raised in Tahoe City, JC grew up as a Strider Glider, then skied for both Tahoe XC and Auburn Ski Club as a Junior. He currently attends the University of Anchorage Alaska, where he races collegiately. In April 2020, he was nominated for the US Ski Team Development Team and is an active member of the US Ski Team. JC is spending this summer at home in Tahoe City, and he is excited to pass on what he’s been learning throughout his budding ski career to Tahoe’s younger generations of skiers.
Previous Devo Coaches
At Tahoe XC, we strive to hire relatable, aspiring athletes to coach our youth programs. Over the years, we’ve had many incredible coaches, who often pursue their own form of higher athletics. Many past Devo Team Coaches were once Strider Gliders as well.
- JC Schoonmaker (2020, former Strider Glider)
- Brandon Herhusky (2019, former Stridger Glider)
- n/a (2018)
- Peter Holmes (2017, former Strider Glider)
- Aliska Albrigtsen (2016)
- Wilson Dippo (2015)