Kevin Murnane Scholarship & Grant
Kevin Murnane (1970-2015) believed in quality coaching and establishing strong youth Nordic programs in the Tahoe region. He served as manager of Tahoe Cross-Country for 15 years and brought passion and enthusiasm to the sport of Nordic skiing. To honor him, and his good character, we established the following memorial student scholarship and coaches grant.
Kevin Murnane Student Scholarship
The Kevin Murnane Scholarship is a growing scholarship fund managed by Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation (TTCF), with the goal of becoming an endowed fund in order to ensure we can continue to honor Kevin’s memory in perpetuity.
The annual Kevin Murnane Student Scholaship, in the amount of $5,000, will be awarded to (up to 2) graduating North Tahoe High School student-athletes who demonstrate selflessness, decency, and good nature within our community.
- Be a graduating senior from North Tahoe High School
- Have participated in any Nordic ski program at Tahoe XC, Auburn Ski Club, Far West, North Tahoe Middle and/or High School
- It is not required that applicants ski competitively in college
- Applications are due by midnight on March 31st. Do not wait till the last minute. Give yourself plenty of time to complete the application process.
- 2022 - Ben Cutler / Jake Hacker
- 2021 - Kili Lehmkuhl / Lili Murnane
- 2020 - Casey Garrity / Guthrie Goss
- 2019 - Cooper Anderson / Max Roske
- 2018 - JC Schoonmaker / Jake Incan
- 2017 - Quinn Lehmkuhl / Kristen Galant
- 2016 - Brynn Anderson / Kaya Williams
(KMS logo design was donated by Kyle Marmesh.)
How to Apply
- Go to www.ttcf.net and navigate to their scholarship section
- Create a login account
- Once you are logged in, create a “common application.” Once you have submitted your “common application,” the system will automatically sort your eligibility for all local scholarships.
- Scroll down to “Kevin Murnane Scholarship Supplemental Questions” and click “Edit Application” to begin drafting your responses for this unique scholarship.
- When finished with your application, click “Submit Application” to apply
To ensure fair, nonbiased results, all applications for the Kevin Murnane Student Scholarship are submitted to, processed by and managed by the Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation (TTCF). Awarded recipients are decided by the Tahoe XC Junior Committee. If you have questions about the application process, please email Phyllis McConn at email@example.com.
Kevin Murnane Coaches Grant
The Kevin Murnane Coaches Grant is designed to support and encourage coaches working with and mentoring North Tahoe Middle or High School athletes. The grant is designed to offer financial support for coaches to attend clinics, symposiums, classes, and trainings that further their coaching abilities.
Coaches Grant Requirements
- Be employed or volunteer as a coach or mentor for a North Lake Tahoe youth program that is supported by Tahoe XC or TCCSEA. (Qualifying programs include cross-country running, mountain biking, and Nordic skiing.)
- Provide details of the intended developmental training class, symposium, clinic, etc., to which grant monies would be applied.
- There are two grant cycles every year. Applications are due:
- November 18th (Fall grant cycle)
- May 31st (Spring grant cycle)
Recipients of the Kevin Murnane Scholarship Coaches Grant are expected to present a recap of their experiences, in person or in writing, to the Tahoe XC Board of Directors.
How to Apply
Send the following information via email (.doc, .docx, PDF attachments only) to Tahoe XC Junior Committee Chair Lianne Nall at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Expression of Interest letter, explaining the nature of your need, funding amount, how the funds will be used, funding timelines, and how you will personally and professionally benefit from receiving the grant
- Proof of employment and/or volunteerism of a program that supports North Tahoe middle or high school athletes as detailed above
- List of at least 2 personal references
Become a Sustaining Supporter
Help us sustain Kevin’s vision of creating quality coaches and nurturing strong youth programs in the Tahoe region. Make your contribution by clicking the button below.
February 24, 2015, marks the day we lost Kevin. On March 15, 2015, our community came together to his celebration of life. Every March, we remember Kevin by asking for donations to support his memorial fund.
You can choose to donate to either the Kevin Murnane Student Scholarship or to the Kevin Murnane Coaches Grant. If you would like to donate to both, please do so in two separate transactions.
If you would like to learn more about Kevin, please read our blog.
Is Mailing a Check Acceptable?
Yes. If you prefer to donate by check, please make it payable to Tahoe Cross-Country Ski Education Association. Fill out the ‘for’ line with Kevin Murnane Fund Drive, and if you have a specific purpose for your donation, ie: scholarship or coaches grant, please indicate on the ‘for’ line. Our mailing address is: PO Box 7260, Tahoe City, CA 96145. While we accept donations year-round, the annual KM Fund Drive will launch March 15-31, 2023, and our goal this year is $5000. Thank you for continually supporting us and our community.