Be the first to know about job opportunities. Scroll down for current jobs openings.
Our Hiring Practices
Tahoe XC is committed to inclusive excellence by striving to advance equity and diversity in all that we do. We encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. We have updated our hiring practices in 3 ways:
- Focus on relevant skills as well as years of related experience
- No longer require a Bachelor’s degree for applicants
- Ask prospective employees to write a Diversity Statement
Why a Diversity Statement?
We encourage our employees and community members to think more deeply about how we are experiencing and understanding diversity, especially in the outdoors. A Diversity Statement is a personal essay that explains how your past experiences have contributed to your personal and professional growth, which may include your values related to diversity, experiences working with diverse populations, and future plans related to inclusivity.
Covid Policy for Staff
We ask that all staff follow our covid guidelines as set forth in our Covid Operations and Safety Plan. Please read prior to applying.
Current Job Openings
Strider Gliders Program Director
Applications accepted now until the position is filled
TITLE: Strider Gliders Program Director
DEPARTMENT: Tahoe Cross-Country
REPORTS TO: Executive Director and Program Coordinator
PART-TIME: winter seasonal (Nov-May)*
HOURLY: Depending on Experience
Tahoe Cross-Country (Tahoe XC) is a public benefit corporation that manages the Highlands Community Center Lodge and Trailhead for year-round, public access. In winter, Tahoe XC produces world-class grooming for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
The Strider Gliders Program Director is in charge of the 22 year old Strider Gliders after school cross-country ski program at Tahoe XC. The program provides 1st to 5th grade students the opportunity to ski with volunteer coaches and other children once a week for six weeks. It also has an additional laser biathlon program for 4th/5th grade students. The goal of the program is to help children learn how to love cross-country skiing by having fun. The program has been the first stop for many Tahoe locals who went on to race at the highest level.
To be a great fit for this role, applicants should have a passion and knowledge of cross-country skiing, and be highly organized and enjoy working with families, and especially children. The position is a limited part-time position. From August-December it is primarily done remotely, then during the class period the Director is responsible to be at Tahoe XC four afternoons a week for six straight weeks from January-March while program is in session. Some work is also required in April to put away gear and close out the program season.
Start Date: April 1,2022
*Ideally this position start April 1, 2022 to help close out this season, and trains with previous Director this season so in November 2022 has some experience to start next winter season.
- Managing program volunteers - recruiting, training and communicating regularly with a group of about 35 volunteer instructors.
- Organizing and planning for three or more classes each day when the program is in session.
- Utilizing software program for class registration.
- Lead Communicator with parents and class lists regarding program details, protocols, plans, gear, and all aspects of the program.
- Arranging for storage of ski gear and distribution to children in the fall, and return and storage of the gear in the spring.
- Overseeing all classes, four days a week from 3:30 to 4:45. Each class day the Director arrives early to put out first aid kits, radios and check-lists to instructor meeting spots, monitors that all coaches arrive, and then skis between groups during the sessions to answer questions and provide support. At the end of classes each day the Director monitors that all children have left and that the trailhead is clear for grooming machines.
- Setting up and taking down the biathlon course one day a week, each week as the program is in session. This task requires the use of a snowmobile.
- Follow health and safety standards.
- Work with staff and instructors to ensure smooth operations for TXC skiers and Lodge.
- Ability to learn and speak to overall trail conditions - ski trails, snow conditions, general lodge operations and winter recreation and safety.
Skills, Abilities & Requirements
Demonstrated ability to:
- Maintain a high energy level in a face paced environment.
- Ability to organize and manage a program with about 100 students.
- Excellent people and communication skills: Keeping instructors, coaches, and children well informed throughout the entire program from start to finish, fielding questions and last minute changes accordingly.
- Intermediate level skate skier that is capable of skiing between several groups each day. Being a ski instructor or racer is not a requirement.
- Basic first-aid certification.
- Training is available from the previous Director on administrative responsibilities and lesson techniques. A detailed description of duties will be provided by previous Director upon training.
- Maintain flexibility while staying attentive to customer and program needs.
- Eager to take initiative independent of direct supervision.
- Enthusiastic, friendly and energetic with a genuine desire to provide outstanding customer service
Environmental Working Conditions
- Most administrative work is conducted remotely.
- On-site program work is done at Tahoe XC, ability to work outdoors in all temperatures and weather extremes.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
Required In-House Training
- Employee Training
- Sexual Harassment Training
How to Apply
E-mail a cover letter describing your interest in the position; your resume; a diversity statement, which we will count as a writing sample; and three relevant references who can attest to your qualifications.
Tahoe Cross-Country Ski Area
Attn: Lianne Nall
E-mail: contact (@) tahoexc.org
PO Box 7260, Tahoe City, CA 96145
No phone calls please.
Summary of 4 Application Documents:
- Cover Letter indicating how your experience has prepared you for this job
- Diversity Statement, indicating how your work and/or life philosophy and practices promote diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion in sports and in the broader community
- Names and contact information of 3 professional references
Tahoe XC is committed to equal employment opportunities. We make our employment decisions based on organizational needs and individual qualifications; not on race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or belief, national origin, or physical/mental disabilities.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Prior to a final offer, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a background check including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, SafeSport certification and criminal background check.