Be the first to know about job opportunities. Scroll down for current jobs openings.
Our Hiring Practices
Tahoe XC is committed to inclusive excellence by striving to advance equity and diversity in all that we do. We encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. We have updated our hiring practices in 3 ways:
- Focus on relevant skills as well as years of related experience
- No longer require a Bachelor’s degree for applicants
- Ask prospective employees to write a Diversity Statement
Why a Diversity Statement?
We encourage our employees and community members to think more deeply about how we are experiencing and understanding diversity, especially in the outdoors. A Diversity Statement is a personal essay that explains how your past experiences have contributed to your personal and professional growth, which may include your values related to diversity, experiences working with diverse populations, and future plans related to inclusivity.
Current Job Openings
Scroll down to see current openings. If the job you are seeking is not posted, we encourage you to contact us anyways. We will keep your application on file and contact you when future positions are available. View instructions on How to Apply.
Marketing & Communications Coordinator
TITLE: Marketing & Communications Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Tahoe Cross-Country (Tahoe XC) and Tahoe Cross Country Ski Education Association (TCCSEA)
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SCHEDULE: 32hrs/week average
RATE: $22-$25 hourly, depending on experience
Please submit your application by June 15, 2021.
Desired start date is July 15, 2021.
Tahoe Cross Country (Tahoe XC) is a public benefit corporation that operates a recreation area, lodge and cross-country ski area. Tahoe Cross-Country Ski Education Association (TCCSEA) in Tahoe City, CA, is a non-profit, 501(c)3, dedicated to supporting the Tahoe community with youth and adult programs that focus on human-powered sports.
Summary of Position
The Marketing & Communications Coordinator supports Tahoe XC and TCCSEA by sharing mission-related information and resources with Tahoe XC community members. While this role primarily focuses on communication activities, it also supports our fundraising efforts. (In the nonprofit world, marketing and fundraising go hand in hand.) This person should be a creative self-starter who pays close attention to detail, especially as it pertains to communication and word choice.
This is a 32 hours/week position, typically 9am to 5pm with flexibility. Occasional weekend and evening work will be required. Applicants should reside in the North Lake Tahoe or Truckee area. We are open to discussing a hybrid home/office model, as approximately 30% of the work can be done remotely. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and collaborates regularly with managers and staff. This position manages contractors on occasion.
Marketing & Communications (60%)
Develop and deliver information, stories and resources to our community and supporters through digital and print communication channels. The Marketing & Communications Coordinator will take leadership on brand consistency and messaging. Specifics include:
- Develop an annual communications plan that incorporates a variety of perspectives and voices, resources, information, and calls to action
- Organize and develop content, and send an e-newsletter to our subscribers once per week
- Manage social media communication, primarily Facebook and Instagram
- Write and distribute press releases and support earned media opportunities
- Maintain and update website(s) with current program information and blog posts (developing blog content is supported by staff members)
- Effectively use programs like Google Suite, Network for Good, Microsoft Office, etc.
Data & Systems Organization (20%)
- Maintain Customer Management System (CMS) organization and data
- Gift acknowledgement for donors
- Fundraising support and inspiration with creative marketing ideas
Graphic Production (10%)
- Design and create digital and print brochures, postcards, ads, signage, and posters
- Manage a graphic design contractor, when needed
- Develop an annual work plan that includes clear projected results that are consistent with Tahoe XC’s strategic plan
- Prepare monthly communications reports for Board of Directors
- Participate in weekly check-ins and an annual review with supervisor
- Participate in annual budget creation and decision making
- Participate in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) learning opportunities and conversations
- Answer community inquiries and provide information about Tahoe XC and TCCSEA’s mission
- Provide vacation coverage for other teammates as needed
- Complete timekeeping and other reporting requirements
- Other duties as assigned
Required In-House Trainings
- Employee Training
- Sexual Harassment Training
We Are Looking For…
- A commitment to Tahoe XC’s mission from someone who is passionate about the Tahoe XC community and our values
- A commitment to building a more diverse and inclusive organization
- A willingness to learn, adapt, and be flexible as we navigate the complexities of COVID-19 and beyond
- Creative and innovative thinking that helps all individuals fully participate in our mission
- Communication that fosters collaboration with staff, Board of Directors, members, and local media to achieve strategic goals, while building trust across diverse communities
- Prior experience and skills in the following areas are highly preferred:
- Background in writing, marketing, and/or fundraising
- Graphic design experience
- Writing original content and proofreading for others
- Passion for Nordic skiing and/or year-round outdoor activity that occur at Tahoe XC
The Marketing & Communications Coordinator’s scope of work requires English language fluency because the region we serve primarily speaks English as a first language. Bilingual candidates, especially in English and Spanish, are highly encouraged to apply and may be compensated above the base wage for the value this brings to the role and the ability to engage Spanish speakers in the Tahoe region.
Outdoor diversity, including at Tahoe XC, has too often been exclusionary. Environmental injustices and climate change disproportionately harm the most marginalized people in our society including people of color, from working class backgrounds, women, and those who are LGBTQ+. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do, and strongly encourage people with these identities to apply.
We Can Offer…
This is a non-exempt (hourly) position. The wage range is $22 to $25 per hour, depending on experience. Benefits include season pass and discounts on retail. This position does not include health or retirement benefits.
We are a growing organization—and in full transparency, this means our team must be adaptable, flexible and comfortable with change. Tahoe XC is located in Tahoe City, California, and candidates must live within a reasonable commuting distance.
Submit applications by June 15, 2021 at 5:00pm.
Summer Sales & Bike Shop Associate
Rolling application period
TITLE: Summer Sales & Bike Shop Associate
DEPARTMENT: Tahoe Cross-Country
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
FULL- or PART-TIME: summer seasonal (June-October), hours are flexible
HOURLY: $13-$15, depending on experience
Spend your summer at Tahoe XC’s summer bike rental and retail shop, located just outside Tahoe City, California. Responsibilities include greeting customers, answering questions, fitting bike rental gear for kids and adults, merchandising, and providing helpful information about our trail systems and the general Tahoe area. You will also be responsible for processing payments and customer refunds courteously and professionally, as well as assisting with overall lodge operations and maintenance. Additional responsibilities include cleaning, stocking and organizing rental area, and (if qualified) providing mountain bike instructions during group and private lessons. This can be a full-time or part-time seasonal position, with start and end dates ranging from June to October.
- Greet visitors, answer incoming phone calls, and deliver world-class service to our customers
- Assist customers with rental gear, retail items, cafe items, and trail map information
- Use POS system for purchases and returns
- Informing customers about trails, conditions, lesson times, how to use equipment, and general recreation and trail safety
- Work with staff and instructors to ensure maximum productivity
Organization & Communication
- Able to offer excellent customer service, which means being friendly, understanding, and willing to work in busy conditions while maintaining a happy attitude
- Ability to multitask, while being attentive to customers and remaining flexible to the complex and ever-changing needs of the business
- Willing to work as part of a team
- Eager to take initiative independent of direct supervision
- Enthusiastic, friendly and energetic with a genuine desire to provide outstanding customer service
- Available to work a variety of hours, which may include early mornings, evenings, and weekend shifts
- Stay up to date on sales, events and company activities
- Proficient communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to read, write and effectively communicate with customers, peers and management
- Have excellent telephone etiquette
Rental & Retail Shop
- Merchandise, stock, and tidy retail store, rental area, and cafe area
- Maintain overall cleanliness and standards of lodge, office, and facilities
- Perform rental area duties such as cleaning and organizing rental gear
- Complete tasks accurately and efficiently
Demonstrate ability to
- Maintain a high energy level
- Be comfortable performing multi-faceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities, which may involve occasional stooping, kneeling, crouching, and climbing ladders
Environmental Working Conditions
- Most work is conducted at Tahoe XC, inside and outside
- Ability to work outdoors in all temperatures and weather extremes
- Ability to lift 25+ pounds
Become an Instructor (Optional)
Applicants with coaching experience may be considered for the additional position of mountain bike instructor. We are willing to train the right candidate if interested, even with limited experience. Being an instructor is not a required part of this job.
How to Apply
E-mail a cover letter describing your interest in the position; your resume; a diversity statement, which we will count as a writing sample; and three relevant references who can attest to your qualifications.
Tahoe Cross Country Ski Area
Attn: Ben Grasseschi
E-mail: ben (@) tahoexc.org
PO Box 7260, Tahoe City, CA 96145
No phone calls please.
Summary of 4 Application Documents:
- Cover Letter indicating how your experience has prepared you for this job
- Diversity Statement, indicating how your work and/or life philosophy and practices promote diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion in sports and in the broader community
- Names and contact information of 3 professional references
Tahoe XC is committed to equal employment opportunities. We make our employment decisions based on organizational needs and individual qualifications; not on race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or belief, national origin, or physical/mental disabilities.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Prior to a final offer, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a background check including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, SafeSport certification and criminal background check.