Be the first to know about job opportunities in your inbox.
Scroll down for current jobs openings.
Our Hiring Practices
Tahoe XC is committed to inclusive excellence by striving to advance equity and diversity in all that we do. We encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
To support those seeking equality and the Black Lives Matter movement, we have updated our hiring practices in 3 ways:
- Focus on skills versus years of related experience
- No longer require a Bachelor’s degree for applicants
- Ask prospective employees to write a Diversity Statement
What’s a Diversity Statement?
A Diversity Statement is a personal essay that explains how your past experiences have contributed to your personal and professional growth. It may include your values related to diversity, your experiences working with diverse populations, and your future plans related to inclusivity.
We hope these improved hiring practices help us do a better job of promoting nature and outdoor recreation, especially Nordic skiing, to more diverse populations. We hope to encourage our community members to think more deeply about how we are experiencing and understanding diversity, especially in the outdoors.
How to Apply
Scroll down to see current openings. If the job you are seeking is not posted, we encourage you to contact us anyways. We will keep your application on file and contact you when future positions are available. View instructions on How to Apply.
Current Job Openings
Note: the right applicant may be qualified to fill more than one position, combining two positions into one.
Sales Associate & Instructor
Rolling application period
TITLE: Sales Associate & Instructor
DEPARTMENT: Tahoe Cross-Country
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
FULL- or PART-TIME: winter seasonal (Nov-May), hours are flexible
HOURLY: $13-$15, depending on experience
The Sales Associate & Instructor position works in the Tahoe XC Nordic ski shop located in Tahoe City, Ca. Responsibilities include greeting customers, answering questions, fitting rental gear (ski boots, skis, poles, snowshoes) for kids and adults, selling ski passes, merchandising, and providing helpful information about our trail systems and the general Tahoe area. You will also be responsible for processing payments and customer refunds courteously and professionally, as well as assisting with overall ski lodge operations and maintenance. Additional responsibilities include cleaning, stocking, waxing skis, organizing rental area, and (if qualified) providing Nordic ski instructions during group and private lessons.
To be a great fit for this role, applicant should have a passion for Nordic skiing. This can be a full-time or part-time seasonal position, with start and end dates ranging from November to May.
- Greet visitors, answer incoming phone calls, and deliver world-class service to our customers
- Assist customers with rental gear, retail items, cafe items, and trail map information
- Use POS system for purchases and returns
- Informing customers about ski trails, snow conditions, lesson times, how to use equipment, and general winter recreation and safety
- Work with staff and instructors to ensure maximum productivity
Rental & Retail Shop
- Merchandise, stock, and tidy retail store, rental area, and cafe area
- Maintain overall cleanliness and standards of ski lodge, office, and facilities
- Upkeep winter lodge by clearing snow with snowblower and shovels, moving firewood, and keeping fire stoked
- Perform rental area duties such as waxing skis, organizing gear, cleaning boots, etc.
- Complete tasks accurately and efficiently
Environmental Working Conditions
- Most work is conducted at Tahoe XC, inside and outside
- Ability to work outdoors in all temperatures and weather extremes
- Ability to lift 25+ pounds
Physical & Mental Requirements
Demonstrated ability to:
- Maintain a high energy level
- Be comfortable performing multi-faceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities, which may involve occasional stooping, kneeling, crouching, and climbing ladders
- Be comfortable lifting 40 pounds, move firewood, drive a snowmobile, use a snowblower, shovel snow, wax skis, make minor ski repairs, etc. May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, crouching, and climbing ladders.
Nordic Ski Instructor
Applicants with Nordic ski experience will be considered for the additional position of Nordic ski instructor. We are willing to train the right candidate if interested but have limited experience. Being a ski instructor is not a required part of this job.
- Able to offer excellent customer service, which means being friendly, understanding, and willing to work in busy conditions while maintaining a happy attitude
- Ability to multitask, while being attentive to customers and remaining flexible to the complex and ever-changing needs of the business
- Willing to work as part of a team
- Eager to take initiative independent of direct supervision
- Enthusiastic, friendly and energetic with a genuine desire to provide outstanding customer service
- Available to work a variety of hours, which may include early mornings, evenings, and weekend shifts
- Stay up to date on sales, events and company activities
- Proficient communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to read, write and effectively communicate with customers, peers and management
- Have excellent telephone etiquette
How to Apply
Thank you for interest in working with Tahoe XC! To apply, please email the following 4 documents as email attachments (PDF, .doc, .docx) to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- 1-page Cover Letter indicating how your experience has prepared you for this job
- 1- to 3-page Diversity Statement, indicating how your work and/or life philosophy and practices promote diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion in sports and in the broader community
- Names and contact information of 3 professional references
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Prior to a final offer, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a background check including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, SafeSport certification and criminal background check.
We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination, directly or indirectly, on the basis of race, gender, color, national origin, religion, marital status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.